Here is another example of color flatting that I completed recently. It’s another pin-up, but a bit more detailed than the last one I posted. I also grabbed the original source for this one from Digital Webbing. There was an art and coloring contest there, one in which I did not participate, and this was the sample line art provided to use for coloring in the contest. I wish I could find the original artist to properly credit the person here, so if anyone reading this post knows, please let me know so that I can edit this and properly give credit to the original artist.
The first picture below is the original line art composited with the flat colors, while the second picture is just the flats by themselves (i.e. the bit that I did for this pin-up).
Once again, this one just happens to accidentally be mostly appropriate colors. When flatting a single-character pin-up it is much easier to try and use potential final colors for most things along the way and get those decisions out of the way. When I get around to being able to post some sequential pages of color flatting, you’ll get to see more of the semi-random flatting that is more typical of this kind of work. Not being intimately familiar with this particular character, and knowing nothing except her name, Jane, I had to guess in some places about costume detail… but believe I hit most of the major points with flat colors. There are a few places where the costume might be broken down further, depending on the colorist intentions for finishing this piece. But otherwise, I think a pretty solidly flatted pin-up page with lots of little details to pick out.
Remember, if you are interested in requesting my services as a Flatter, please use the Contact page and provide me with as much information as you can about your request.
You might remember a while back I posted a pin-up submission I did for the Fist of Justice. As part of that creation, I had to also draw a version of their logo design. I have since gone back and tweaked that logo a bit to make it more accurately reflect the design they use for the comic book.
It’s always hard to let go of something as being done and sometimes there is a good reason for that, as I believe this version is stronger than the version I originally used for my pin-up submission. Remember, if you are interested in requesting my services as an Illustrator, please use the Contact page and let me know as much as you can about your request.
I’ve been participating for a while now on the Digital Webbing forums. They have discussions on all areas of comic book creation, and the folks behind the forum produce comics themselves! You might remember them from such things as when I recently posted about their Kickstarter for a Fist of Justice trade paperback that completed on June 1st.
One of their stretch goals was to be a trading card set, for which they had requested pin-up submissions. Unfortunately that stretch goal was not met, though the trade paperback itself was fully funded! I created a couple of variations on a theme that I submitted to them for this project. While it’s possible one of these might see use in a different form in the future, for now I wanted to drop them onto my blog so you have a look at something else I created recently.
Click the images to see larger versions. The core concept is essentially the same in both versions; that being, an action figure all minty in its sealed packaging! I prefer the second version, incidentally. I think the bubble plastic on the packaging looks better, and I added some additional accessories for the action figure.
Please let me know what you think of either version. Remember, if you are interested in requesting my services as an Illustrator, please use the Contact page and let me know as much as you can about your request.